View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 20:35   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo2002 View Post
The exhaust wastegate stuck closed on my wonderful 1998 940 LPT recently and she started venting exhaust from the face where the hotside of the turbo bolts onto the exhaust manifold.

The car's covered 115k now and it's earnt some tlc. I have a new turbo on its way complete with lines and fitting etc and I'm planning to do the job myself. So far I have removed the old turbo and I'm thinking what to do whilst the replacement is shipped.

Whats the consensus on the exhaust manifold and gaskets? There's obviously been a lot of heat trapped there and me leaning on spanners to free off the old nuts and bolts. But, prior to dismantling, I didn't see any leaks when I did the soapy water test. Overkill or shrewd to replace do you think?

What other jobs are worth doing whilst it's apart? I'm going to put on a fresh O2 sensor since I have one handy.
One thing i know a lot of turbo owners have trouble with are the coolant pipes, they tend to fur up inside so worth inspecting and/or renewing those. Also the oil drain back to the sump, i belive Luke has part numbers for the seals and will no doubt be along at some point to give you some pointers on that and the part numbers.

Probably a smidge overdue on Lambda replacement so a wise move on that as well, sure you're going to do an oil/filter change once the new turbo is on there, you know about letting it idle for a minute or so before switching off?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote