View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 19:56   #5
pettaw
Forum Support Team

provided you jacked it and supported it in all the right places so that nothing collapsed, then you won't have twisted the chassis, at least I'd be very surprised if you had managed to.

I can't explain why the dash had moved, but the springs creaking are signs of a bad bearing in the top mounts of the front suspension struts. The sunroof leaks because basically most of them do.....it was not a good design even when fairly new and working properly, and now with time and age, even worse, I'm afraid. You might still be able to get a new seal to fit round it to see if that helps. Also if it still works properly, then slide it all the way back and clear out any rubbish from the drainage channels down the side.

As for starting up after so long...change all the fluids in the engine, oil, water, brake fluid, and at least check that the gearbox and rear diff oil are up to level. Get a large bar and manually crank the engine over gently to see that its not seized. If it cranks over fine...take the plugs out and put a little engine oil down each bore, and then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over on the starter motor for a few seconds. Then replace plugs and start gently. If it doesn't turn over with moderate force, then you take the plugs out and you put a good slug of diesel into the bores and leave it for a week or so...that should hopefully percolate through the rust and it should unseize without having to resort to huge amounts of force, run the starter over to flush all the diesel out and then replace plugs etc....
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pettaw For This Useful Post: