View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 23:50   #23
Forrest
VOC Member

Mine is the newer type where it is almost impossible to remove the glass without breaking it. Not that it matters in this instance. What I have on order is a pattern glass (£20) and motor (£10) since I don’t want to dip into my small stock of good secondhand Volvo spares for a car which is on 270k miles and which I am seriously considering replacing soon. I’m changing the motor as well since the glass flapped around a lot prior to this incident.

The mirror housing is not actually original but is from a later car and resprayed matt black. The original broke many years ago. What I discovered back then was that it is possible to remove the glass but it involves lots of careful prying and wedging the plastic clips which can only practically be done with the whole mirror assembly removed from the car. A friend in the motor trade later told me that the “secret” is to warm the thing up with a heat gun and then the clips are more inclined to yield.

I think there was a period during which Volvo used mirror housings that had the hole underneath but used the newer style motor and glass. It makes me wonder whether the old and new motors might be interchangeable. Just a thought.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: