View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 17:05   #10
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Its one of the things that keeps delighting me - how (reasonably) accessible everything is, and how easy they are to work on

My other car is a Discovery V8 - while there is plenty of room under the bonnet, I have to climb a ladder (honestly) to do pretty much any work on it - and that kills the backs of the legs and my lower back.

I've just bought a Nissens branded heater matrix. While replacing the matrix is fairly easy on these, the fact that you could get serious engine damage if it fails completely made me play it safe. I've bought many Nissens radiators over the years and they've all been of superb quality - the heater matrix was only £38 posted which is fine. I had a quote from my local dealer for a Volvo branded (actually made by Behr)... wait for it... £231.66

I am going to be using new genuine Volvo o-rings though as the pattern ones can leak apparently.

Lets see some pics, we all love pics
hi yes very nicely layed out and not so many stupid fragile plastic fasteners as the pug had,well today the new tensioner pulley came for the serpentine belt and took me about 40 minutes or so to fit and that included fabricating the tool for detensioning and finding a split pin to lock it with,not bad for an old fart and now the horrid bearing noise is gone and she has a nice new belt we should be good for a while,still to go get antifreeze and awaiting a set of stainless steel hose clamps and some new hoses being made local to me by a good friend and fabricator all in super high temp materials he says are impervious to oil and solvents etc and at roughly half the price as caffyns wanted for the oe parts.
im wary of buying parts and having spent many years in the trade it still amazes me just how ignorant of the products they sell most online suppliers are.
anyhow pics will be forthcoming in due course i need to charge the new but knackered allready battery in the camera,more ebay crap!peace