Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 09:09   #1276
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Well, what I know about it….. it went on Saturday morning, I messaged the guy who said call him. I asked some questions about the usual rusty bits. He said there is some surface rust on the rear arches that it’s booked in to have done this week, I asked for pictures as it is, his reply was the reserve is 10k, it will sell by the end of the weekend, but if it’s still around the end of the week, give him a call and he will send some pics. So not sure why on a car of £10k you wouldn’t be prepared to send a few detailed pics! I did explain their was a good distance between us and if I liked the pics I would go and look.

My thinking was I would probably pay 7k for a very genuine car with that sort of credentials. And didn’t expect it to go that mad. I though it would get to 5k and sit for a while until some last minute bidding.

So the fact he wouldn’t send any detailed pics suggested to me there was possibly a bit more bodywork than he was letting on, the end of the week pictures would see that done. So I though we’ll if he is not going to send pics, I would ask about the presence of spot welds around the rear arches, trying to find out if it seemed original and he wouldn’t confirm that either, just kept saying well it will be sold by the end of tomorrow! So something strange about the whole thing, and the way the bidding has just continued is strange, you normally get a few early bids to a low level a dip with the odd bid in the middle unit a last couple of hours spike. So if this is to have a last couple of hours spike, it’s going to be 20k !

Definitely think we need the ghostbusters as their is something strange in the neighbourhood!
From what you have said Dan, this one might be the sort of thing you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275014103517?hash=item40081e31dd:gW0AAOSw4Mdhg9e 5

... 7 grand (but maybe the seller would take a near offer) which I'd say was at the top of the price range for any 240. It looks like a very nice motor car with good provenance.

Alan

PS. Sometimes I think about buying a late, very good condition 240 estate like this myself, but then I think about it and common sense rules it out. Nice as it might look, it would have no advantages whatsoever over my 2014 Skoda Superb elegance diesel estate: it would cost considerably more to run, has far more old fashioned engineering, is less practical... USW. The RB (1980 244, so tax and MoT exempt and cost a great deal less) fulfils my Volvo 240 fetish much better :-).