View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 11:24   #14
Rossey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
In general terms cetane boosters don't work too well AND Acetone is an absolute no go additive for any diesel or petrol fuel system. It can degrade the fuel tank sender unit and the seals inside the high pressure pump if used long term.

Bio diesel is a very good natural solvent, so the fuel system and injectors will stay clean. Alas it has a much higher flashpoint than normal diesel so is bad news if it contaminates the engine oil, as it does not evapourate off much when warm.
Pure Bio from a farm might clean well AND is an excellent lubricity additive for normal diesel, BUT that does not mean it does not get dirty.
It also has a lower gell point in winter, so most users either switch to winter diesel, or if they are far enough South just mix it 50/50 with a good winter diesel.
The other winter option is to use an anti gell (It stops wax forming in the fuel filter) fuel additive.
The ratio i use acetone it wont damage anything, but it does breakdown the surface tension of the fuel.

It would only contaminate the engine oil if the engine was knackered and had blowby.

Farm?
I produce it myself.

Winter is just add 5-10% petrol