View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 21:09   #19
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Don't mean to turn this in to and additive thread, but I've started using Diesel Rhino additive in my Hilux pickup. I think it has made the engine smoother and quieter, but what I can say for sure is that it smokes a lot less. Before if you floored it, you could see lots of smoke in headlights behind, but now it's pretty clear.

Surely if it smokes less, it must be better for the engine?
Depends why it's smoking. If you only get smoke when booting it, then it might just be some crud in the CAT and EGR from too much time at idle. That type of minor issue stops after a good motorway session, otherwise smoke is always bad news to some extent, the white or grey variety in particular.

At present there are far too many companies making fuel additives and many of them do not have the test equipment or even data base info to figure out if they will cause long terms issues with HP pump seals or fuel tank sensors.
Seems expensive at 18 quid for 500ml:
http://www.dieselrhino.co.uk/

In general terms it's best to buy fuel additives from a major oil company or a large US additives producer. The companies I like for that are Lubriguard, Redline, Amsoil, BG and Liqui Moly. The Rhino add company can only afford a one page web site so far!
It seems to be similar to LM Diesel Purge, this is the Rhino TDS:
http://www.dieselrhino.co.uk/DR_Prod_Desc.pdf
A bit short on actual contents info, such as flashpoint, light oil or solvents used or viscosity. 18 quid for half a liter is a lot for what might just be Bio diesel or kerosene.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 9th, 2014 at 21:18.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: