View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 23:09   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo760AF View Post
Super mate. Nice and easy for a newbie to understand. I'll probably try your pump method. Would you suggest just using the pump via the dipstick until 2 to 3 litres is out. Then replace with 2 to 3 litres fresh. Then leave as you have said for a year or so.

Thanks again. Really helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo760AF View Post
Is the Carlube stuff good enough?
Empty out as much as you can with the pump, not just 2-3 litres. That will leave a lot of dirt in the bottom of the box to make the fresh fluid dirty so empty as much as possible each time.

As for Carlube ATF-U, i've been using it for many years and yes, it is definitely good enough! Analyse the fluid in either of my gearboxes now and you'll find ATF-U and the same goes for the PAS systems. You'd also find some mixed in with the engine oil on both cars for other reasons, traces of it on various fasteners (50:50 acetone:ATF-U mixed and shaken before each use is an amazing penetrating oil and works out about 1/4 the cost of WD40 and is ten times better minimum) and even some in the fuel tanks.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote