View Single Post
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 00:51   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

Steering Wheel removal. My steering wheel has two cracks that I want to repair. I plan to use PV-7 epoxy, but will also need to paint the steering wheel when I am done.

The first step to removing the wheel was to remove the horn ring. On the steering wheel itself, behind the spokes at approximately 8 o’clock is a set screw that must be removed. Once removed, the horn ring twists off. I grabbed it and turned counter clockwise and it spun loose. It is only a compression fit, but after 60 years it might be quite tight and require some significant force to remove.

Behind the steering ring, one finds a connection for the horn in the center of the wheel. Next is a 30mm nut with a dual lock tab that holds the steering wheel in place. It was easy to push the locking tabs back with a screwdriver, and the nut itself was quite loose – maybe only 10 foot pounds of torque or less to get it off. I used a 30 mm socket, but could have probably used channel locks.

Behind the steering wheel is a cylindrical housing for the turn signal stalk. At around 4 o’clock at the dashboard is a small set screw. I removed that and then pushed the housing forward about 3/4”. It allowed just enough space for me to get my two claw puller behind the steering wheel. I left the steering wheel nut loosely in place as a foundation for a socket, then covered the horn connection with the socket, then a large washer (for spin) and then the business end of the puller. It required some firm pressure, but the steering wheel popped forward without any damage. I then pulled the steering wheel off of steering shaft.

The cylindrical housing behind the wheel now came into play. The turn signal mechanism is sitting in there. I decided to pull the housing off to paint it. I could see that the housing would slide off if I disconnected the turn signal wiring, which was easily done at a connection under the dash. The entire housing pulled off with a bit of rearward pressure.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote