View Single Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 00:23   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
D5 xc90 here, 15-25k a year never missed a beat. Would buy an LPG in a heart beat if I thought I could continue to claim my 45p per mile travelled and do so reliably:

My experience is that this won’t happen which seems to upset some people for some reason???
The old D5 is not a bad engine for a child killer

I have run one as a daily, not too many troubles with it and decent power to be fair in a S80 executive.
Decided to upgrade to a V90 and needed a 3ltr petrol engine in my life. The V90 on LPG is cheaper to run but ticks a lot more boxes of what I like in a car.

Ignoring what comes out of the exhaust the D5 is a great engine and for a diesel runs nice. Yes they need the soot cleaning out as part of servicing. Power is good. Noise is not bad. Compared to running on petrol it is cheaper to fuel. Service cost is similar. Both engine will do the miles reliably.
If you are strongly concerned about the environment you would never run a diesel car. But then if that strongly concerned you would not own a car, never fly etc. From that aspect I am glad the powers that be have suddenly remembered the crap that comes out of a diesel exhaust but given another 20 years that will once again be forgotten about.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote