View Single Post
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 21:42   #2
berrymanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Hi all,

I've had my S80 with the Active 4C set up for a few months now, and it has just clocked 140k miles. I think it is on the original shocks. Recently the ride has got very "crashy" on rough roads, particularly at the rear, with poor ability to absorb even minor bumps in the road. This is combined with a lot of "pock-pock" noise, although no actual knocking.

I'm guessing it could be either shock absorbers or bushes, and as the 4C shocks are expensive I'd like to rule these out if possible.

So, are there any specific symptoms / handling characteristics I can test for to rule out (or in) failure of the shocks, as opposed to other components?

I'm hoping it will be something less expensive which needs replacing!

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hey Simon.

I've been trying to find some time to compose a reply to your post.

The passenger shock failed on our S80 at 118k mark. Symptoms included not soaking up minor holes in the road, going over grates etc. Also, I had a metallic squeaking noise every time I traversed said features in roads.

The senior at the local volvo dealer took it out for a spin and noticed the noises it was making from that area. Got into the tech bay and he plugged it in to VIDA. Wasn't showing any communication errors. He then put it up on the ramps and took the front wheel off to inspect the shock. The strut was covered in oil. He lowered it back to the floor again, and put the chassis in Advanced mode. Normally in this mode, doing an old-fashioned bounce test shouldn't make the car move. There was a lot of play in the passenger side though. Cycling through all the modes on the chassis, the same play was seen.

The stealer advised it was a £570 replacement part plus labour @ £112. I told them i'd source it from elsewhere, thinking that I could get the aftermarket Monroe set for it. However, they're still not available retail (partnumber C2510 if you're interested). I called Volvo Swansea for a quote, and they did it for £420 for the shock.

Took it back to the local dealer with the new shock, and it was changed in the morning. Graham brought the old one out to show me it and there was no oil in it at all, the metal rod just plummetted to the bottom when he tipped it up.

Hope this helps somewhat. I'm gonna hold off as long as possible to replace the rest of them, in the hope that Monroe release them to the aftermarket. Refusing to pay £2504 to replace something that only cost the previous owner £1100 to have fitted at the factory

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote