View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 15:14   #29
RojHud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscreant View Post
Half way up will suffice for a while but it will slip back down again.
A trick I used to get it the whole way over the bearing was to spray a little silicone oil on the tip of my finger and rub it on the inside of the lip on the rubber boot. This will stop the rubber from gripping the bearing as you move it over and you will feel it "pop" into place at the top. Remember too that sometimes the bearing itself will move up and down so this is a 2 handed job.
Mine has not budged since I did this. You should be able to get your hands on some silicone oil in a hobby shop or DIY retailer and it is pretty cheap (especially if it cures this problem for you).
Re Steering boot .....
I had a similar problem after dropping the engine for a clutch and flywheel replacement.
I stupidly put some lube on the rubber to help it slip in .....since then it keeps slipping out and the noise from the turbo is horrid. the solution is a a tie wrap.
First picture is what it should look like, second picture with tie wrap. No noise or problems for 3 months now, just coming up to changing the cam belt at 180K mls on the S60D5.
ps will upload photos when i can find out how to do it.
RojHud is offline   Reply With Quote