Thread: 240 General: - 244 Headlamp Adjusters
View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 11:18   #5
Othen
Premier Member

I've fixed the right hand headlamp adjuster this morn, but what a palaver! The design is almost Saabesque in its lack of logic, it is no wonder Volvo dispensed with this type of headlamp a few months after my car was manufactured.

the headlamp looks like it may be detached very easily, there being some very good quick release catches at the bottom, but the top is fixed by an adjuster held captive in a ball socket, so the only way to remove it is to unbolt the whole sub-frame (4 M10 bolts from the front, easy enough) and then wind the adjuster all the way through the nylon bush from the back (probably okay on a new car, but these parts are all 40 years old):

well, we got there in the end, and I was able to clean up the threads by winding a steel nut up and down a few times and then re-cut the screwdriver slot at the front (that had rounded off several adjustments ago):

re-assembly was easy enough, but just as daft, winding the screw all the way through the nylon bush, but nothing else broke and the headlamp can be adjusted properly as Mr Volvo meant it to be 40 years ago now:

There does not seem to be any horizontal adjustment for the headlamps, just this one at the top which works in the vertical plane.

The good news is that the reflectors seem to be in excellent condition, so when the adjustment is correct and the new H4 bulbs arrive the lights should be at least as good as they were in 1980.

Next job: finding that pesky turn signal relay :-)

Last edited by Othen; Feb 7th, 2020 at 13:37. Reason: Typo.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote