View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 04:10   #28
s40R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish
For those who think soldering is dangerous, ask yourself how on earth the chip was put on the ECU at the factory in the first place - it was soldered !
Regards,
Hamish.
By a machine not a soldertech is the point. Hand soldered ECU's can get buggered and it does happen. To deny it is just BS. My friend in Canada had to get New ECU via the Volvo dealer which cost him over $1000US = 569.605 GBP. So the risk here is if the tuner screws up your ecu while it has been taken apart, then who foots the $1000US or 569.605 GBP bill? Those are the real risks. Sooner or later people make mistakes, it's statistical. That should all be talked about before and not after the fact when your having your ECU tuned. If this happened to a customer of yours how would you address the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish
So, let's stop this nonsense about this being the crux of the matter because it's not. Adam studied electronic engineering and computer science and worked for Lucas Aerospace on engine controllers. So you can rest assured he knows a bit on the subject.
Regards,
Hamish.
I had an Austin Healy full of Lucas parts (a division of Lucas Aerospace) and it spent all of it's time in the shop with electrical problems. Going out on the weekends was always an adventure because you never knew if you had enough parts or the right parts to fix it to get back home. It was a fun car but I don't think my friends liked getting stranded very much. My Physicist friend affectionately and often quoted: "Lucas the company who invented Darkness"

Last edited by s40R; Mar 4th, 2006 at 23:33.