Thread: V50 General : - V50 T5 AWD Front and rear shocks
View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 12:12   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovado3gn View Post
Hello. My V50 T5 AWD has 140k KM and still running with stock shocks, but they all 4 need to be changed since they have lost their properties.
Ive been looking online and cant seem to find any shocks that match OEM number 31277592 and 31277591. My question is that if i can buy the shocks from a FWD V50 and install them on my AWD V50. I have compared the shocks on pictures and they look identical. Is that the reason that i cant find the OEM for AWD because they are identical to the FWD but with different OEM number? The same goes for the shock mount and bearing. Look the same but different OEM number.
Thanks
Hi
I can help a bit maybe with this as I went trough full shocks+springs change some time ago. AWD is a b**ch and replacement parts for shocks/springs are rare and limited. Dont judge "just by looks" as I know for fact that the 2 supposedly identical shocks will have 2 different lenghts of travel and will affect the whole setup.
What you need to do is:
- check what type of suspension you have by looking at your build plate. That will tell you what shocks/springs/arb you have and how the car is set up. Also that if you are unfortunate to have Nivomats, you are doomed

see pic below:

13 = Country Code
14 = Interior Code
15 = Paint Code

17 = Front Suspension Spring
18 = Front Suspension Strut
19 = Front Anti-Sway Bar
20 = Rear Suspension Spring
21 = Rear Suspension Shock
22 = Rear Anti-Sway Bar
23 = Front Suspension Bump Stop
24 = Rear Suspension Bump Stop

Once you know the correct numbers you can compare the options available for shocks (in Vida) and it will return correct part numbers. You can also always call the dealership and give them your VIN and just ask to check (although last time I did that I was told I have different shocks that I actually do so some parts people have no clue about AWD). Even with AWD setup you can have 2 or 3 different shocks and even more springs so it is really a tough one to crack properly.

If you decide to go aftermarket way, it is possible (and MUCH cheaper) but again - being AWD - options are limited. Front shocks are easier to source (I think Bilsteins and KYAB's fits perfectly) but with rears there is really NO direct alternatives for AWD! Plus FWD S40 parts differ from FWD V50 aswell so you can easily get swamped in options... I ended up getting rear gas KYABs that are desgned for FWD car (V50) and they do fit, but their travel lenght is different so car is much stiffer in the back. I actually like it but you feel the difference between softness front/rear.
Front - I have OEM's, just because were fitted new when I bought car. Otherwise I would go for replacement.

Springs - again - what a pain in.... I ended up with 4x OEM ones as I just couldnt get aftermarket ones (2 of mine broke so I had to replace them). It is easier when you are replacing whole lot (shocks+springs) to lowered ones for example, but to match OEM shocks and
ride height - OEM springs is your best choice.

shock bearings - again - AWD spec only...

bottom line - PITA ! and very expensive if OEM route, as replacement parts for FWD are half the price and much better and widely available.

If you have no Vida access Im happy to help, just lemme know your VIN and build plate. I will have a look what PN's are recommended for your car and give you the list, then you can decide what to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Av6N3.jpg (83.4 KB, 88 views)