Thread: water loss
View Single Post
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 21:10   #18
aardvarkash10
Master Member

thats unfortunate.

However... remember that any 940 you replace yours with is ALSO 25 years old, with approximately 7-10k miles on it for each of those years. It will have exactly the same issues your current vehicle has unless it comes with documented evidence that stuff has been done recently.

All the issues that you currently are having are known common problems in high mileage, older B230Fx, x40 Volvos. You are very likely going to be trading one problem vehicle for another.

This is a polite way of saying that often, its better the devil you know.

If you are strongly attached to your box on wheels, I suggest you consider the cost of any repairs required as a "deferred maintenance" expense. Assuming you replace ALL of the likely troublesome components in the cooling system it will be expensive, but spread over the ownership period of the car, it doesn't look so bad.

The heater matrix can be bypassed easily. This leaves you without a heater while you decide. On my experience, I would strongly advise replacing the radiator and coolant hoses (if they haven't been done recently). If there is still a problem after that, its probably the head gasket which is a relatively minor engine job on the B230 engine.

Yes, you will be spending around 500 to 700 quid excluding the heater matrix. But realistically, thats a cost you will face in future with almost any other 940 you look at.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: