View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 10:10   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

If 'Rossi-fan' is 'a little out of touch', Jon, then so am I and, I suspect, are many others. I share 'Rossi-fan's' view and could have written the same post - only substituting '18' for '15' and 'V70' for 'S60'.

In a long motoring life I have owned many cars, but have bought only the one new car (1978 Mini 1000) and had the use of one company car (1980 Princess 2.0).

Personally, I think that this attitude or mind-set stems to a certain extent from one's attitude towards debt. The only debt that we have had has been a mortgage and the odd item on interest-free credit (that was almost forced upon us and which we would have been mad to refuse).

I realise that we were fortunate in this, and that others are less so, but it is a habit that I will take with me to my grave. Like 'Rossi-fan', I will not put myself in debt for a depreciating asset, nor do I find the idea of spending £300 per month or so just to have the latest registration plate on my car appealing - that's still £10K over a 3 year agreement down the drain!

By the way, I had to look up 'chavvy' on the internet as it does not appear in my dictionary - don't you think that it's use in this context is just a little patronising of the many who do not fit this stereotype, yet still enter into such agreements?

Regards, John.