View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2011, 15:18   #1
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool Guide: Fitting LED's to side lights and yellow side lights

This should work on most volvo cars, this will work on x40 series cars.
Thanks hyvää for link and information about those LED's.

I will make this as a guide so if anybody else wants to change to LED's(or regular light bulbs) they can do so faster and easier than they could do that themselves, saving some time and money.

So then, typical warning.
I am not a electrician! I do not take any responsibility if you mess this up and short circuit car's electrical system! (this doesn't stop you/me from rewiring your/my house with new electric cables, and change lighbulbs your/my self )

I made some comparison for a side lights. It looks way better than original(urine) colour bulbs

Looks way better than originals eh?

So then.....

Light bulbs came from Hong Kong, it took nearly 2 and half weeks to get them, I ordered 3 of them( there is 2 LED bulbs in one pack, in total I've got 6 LED's)

Unpacking...

Comparing light bulb with LED's

--------

I used small flat head screwdriver, you may want to use something between screwdriver and plastic, just in case of any damage occurs. ( I didn't used any)

Move it outwards, that metallic clip holds it in place so you just want to pop it out(if it is rusty, it will fells like its stuck)

Slide it towards the back of the car

Check if there is any damage to wires

To remove the light bulb holder you need to rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise (pret pulksteni)

It should come out easy enough

Then remove light bulb. If metal has oxidised, you might have some problems to remove light bulb itself(just pull it out, do not twist the bulb or holder)

You might want to use something like this

after you remove light bulb and if you notice that there is some oxidation marks, remove them with flat head screwdriver and then use electric contact cleaner and let the fluid rinse out( put housing upside down) do this few times and only then insert your new LED's or normal light bulbs

Some of the bulbs were really bad.. only 1 of 4 bulbs were working...

There is some thing that you should do with new LED's before you fit them...
When you receive them, metal connectors looks like in pictures bellow...

they are too close together... so you need to make some adjustments

first, move those wires more to the sides so they do connect to the metal directly(If you don't do this LED's might not work)

then use screwdriver to bend those tiny wires back from the housing

Then, when you fit old bulb

with LED

note that if you insert them and they are not working, rotate LED 180 degrees, they should work(looks like they only work one way)

Then insert them back in indicator housing and install them back in the bumpers, NOTE that LED housing can be inserted only one way, just align pins on each sides of the housing so that they match grooves on yellow side light housing.

Good thing that those LED's fits in side light sockets(I believe they are called) as well.

Locate wires at the bottom and pull them out.

Replace with LED's put them back in and you are good to go

Nice!!!!!!!

I have heard that the same type fits into other places as well, other forum members feel free to correct me or add more information about them or post some links where forum members or unregistered readers could get them

Last edited by Biotoxic; May 6th, 2011 at 15:27. Reason: Name change
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post: