View Single Post
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:52   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm View Post

My plan will be to strip the head and see if it's bent or not, and, depending on price, fix the head or strip the rest of the car for parts.

I can get the car for about 350€ or 315£.
Is this a good plane? Or should I just get a replacement head?

Chears
Is it worth doing? You need to get the head off to find out exactly what is wrong - if the head is warped then it will depend on the cost of a replacement in Portugal - are they available from a breaker? A new one will cost you more than the car is worth!

If the car hasn't run for two years and the cylinders have been water damaged, remove the plugs put 100ml or so of engine oil into each bore via the plug hole, leave the plugs out and check if the engine can still be turned over by hand using a breaker bar on the main shaft bolt as the pistons and cylinders may have corroded.

If it does turn over even though the cylinder head gasket is probably blown I would flush the system completely using a low pressure hose to get rid of any muck before I removed the head - others may disagree but there is no point in replacing the head gasket and then flushing as there may be also sorts in the water. Flush the head on its own when you have it off the block. When you refit the head re-flush the engine before you attempt to start it.

Check to may sure there is no water in the oil system or the automatic transmission fluid as when the "oil cooler" which is the heater exchanger for the automatic transmission cooler, blows it can draw water back into the "oil" either lubricating or automatic transmission system as it cools.

However, at around 350€ for the car, you would have more than that in parts value - eg 4 X mag-alloy wheels = 150-200€ depending upon rim damage etc.,

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:02.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: