View Single Post
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 07:53   #10
dtm

"Is it worth doing? You need to get the head off to find out exactly what is wrong - if the head is warped then it will depend on the cost of a replacement in Portugal - are they available from a breaker? A new one will cost you more than the car is worth!"

To resurface the head is about 30€, pressure test is another 35€, each valve 2.5€ and each valve seat (don't really know how it's called in English) is 3€.

"If it does turn over even though the cylinder head gasket is probably blown I would flush the system completely using a low pressure hose to get rid of any muck before I removed the head"

How would you go about doing that. Low pressure water hose? In the cooling system?

"Check to may sure there is no water in the oil system or the automatic transmission fluid as when the "oil cooler" which is the heater exchanger for the automatic transmission cooler, blows it can draw water back into the "oil" either lubricating or automatic transmission system as it cools. "

Manual transmission, so that's not an issue.

"However, at around 350€ for the car, you would have more than that in parts value - eg 4 X mag-alloy wheels = 150-200€ depending upon rim damage etc.,"

Turbo and wheels should pay for the car, for sure, the question how long will it take to sell parts.

Thanks for all your answers.
I'm going to talk to the seller and make the deal. I'll keep you all posted.

Chears
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote