View Single Post
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 07:13   #4
Tamworthbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Evening,Tamworthbay, can't help thinking of S.S.Tamworth Bay,in a WW2 convoy in mid Atlantic. However,did you know you can lock the injection pump in position? Does the engine start easily? and I do mean Easily?? no smoking on startup? If the answer is yes and it runs nicely. the pump can be locked to retain the pump timing. on the front face of the inj.pump( standing at the front of the engine bay) near the drive end,there is a bolt,13mm? socket.this can be loosened and the spacer behind it removed,refit the bolt,without spacer and tighten=pump locked. If you are going to lock the camshaft via the slot in the end nearest the gearbox, after removing the valve cover/rocker box,you need to get the camshaft to t.d.c.both valves closed on no.1 cylinder,which is the o/s or the end nearest your leaking water pump. Sorry if I am teaching granny to....PS have you got a loooong 3/4" breaker bar and a good quality 27mm socket for the crank bolt? PPS.PLEASE use a genuine Volvo water pump. chances are your pump is leaking because it is not.K

Regards,Keith.
Many thanks, I have seen mention of the locking method when I did a search but it was a bit vague. I have got an INA water pump (and belt kit) as I believe they are decent quality, my local dealers couldn’t get either a belt kit or pump!
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote