View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 14:34   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
How do you make sure the rack is centralised on one of these? Some racks have a bung to remove which you can slide a pin in when it is central.
I'm fairly sure i described the method in one of my emails Luke but it's 3.5 turns lock to lock.
From the straight ahead position on the steering wheel, if you slowly turn it to one lock, you should find one of the steering wheel spokes that was horizontal is now vertical (or t'other way round) and it is 1 3/4 turns back to the straight ahead position, likewise when turning to the other lock.

Another method is turn the steering to full lock one way and put a pice of tape on the steering wheel rim at the 6 o'clock position, now turn to the other lock and do the same.
Now return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and they bits of tape should be at the "quarter to three" position.

If not, take the wheel off and adjust it until it is by refitting it one or two splines differently on the column. Don't forget to tighten the second most dangerous nut in the car, the one on the steering wheel! *

Recheck the rack is now central and you can set your wheel alignment correctly from there with the wheel in the straight ahead position.

This is pretty crucial to do right, if not the first obvious symptom will be poor self-cetering, tendency to pull to one side slightly but worst of all, it will be using the power assistance all the time while driving straight ahead. This can boil the fluid, resuliting in it frothing up out of the top of the reservoir.
Not to metnion the undue extra stress on the pump and rack!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: