View Single Post
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 20:43   #16
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Well I didn't do any work on the car this weekend as my wife, the dog and I did a 900 mile round trip down to Englandshire to pick up a new pair of front wings, a used bonnet in A1 condition and a pair of rear wheel arch repairs from a guy who started to do up his P1800 but due to personal reasons couldn't finish it. These parts aren't easy to get hold of and are expensive so I was thrilled with finding them at a reasonable price. The guy also mentioned he'd like to sell his P1800, I was half interested but didn't think it would be in very good condition. How wrong I was! He had the car stored in a mates shed so off we went to have a look, it was getting dark so not the best time to view the car but the guy was a really friendly and straight talking farmer type so a spade was a spade. He'd started pulling the car apart but never really got too far, it was covered in dust and the tyres were flat so it didn't look anything too flash. It still has the original mags in excellent condition, then I started to have a look at the body and couldn't believe how sound it was, of course there was some rust but the body and structure is way better than my car and I couldn't see any bodging (it was warts and all and no covering up). Like he told me on the phone, I told you it was a good/en. So without going into prices it was a bargain for such a clean example and I nealy bit his hand off saying "I'll take it". The car isn't going and he reckons all the engine needs is some oil but I've got a mechanically sound P1800 and I always was going to overhaul and work the engine. So the plan is now my original car is going to be a parts car and the one I bought on the weekend will be the core and I'll eventually sell off the parts I don't need.

I had an e-mail from KG Trimning on Friday saying they'll e-mail through the price for my engine this week so can't wait to have the engine sorted. KG are going to supply a core engine, new performance parts and build my engine for me with plenty of grunt in mind.

I'm probably going to have two spare engines, one is a 71 B20 with fuel injection and the other is a 70 B20 (says 69 on engine) with a single stromberg carb so if anyone is chasing an engine give me a PM and once I have my new engine sorted I'm going to get rid of the two I have as I haven't got room to store them.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote