View Single Post
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 12:27   #4
eapowers64

Default Climate Control Air Inlet

Your other possibility is water leaking past the climate control air inlet in the area in front of and under the front window. Keep in mind that I have a US spec 2004 XC90 as I describe this. When I bought mine last year I first took off the black plastic cover between the front windshield and the firewall. Underneath is the motors for the wipers, the (hopefully) watertight box where the electrical harness comes from the engine into the passenger compartment and the CEM (in my car on the drivers side). On my passenger side is the inlet plenum for the air. It has a couple of drain holes around it that can get clogged with built up debris. There is also a foam seal between the inlet plenum and the guts of the climate control that are bolted up underneath the dash. In my car that foam seal was crumbly dust and water might have been leaking past. Unfortunately you can't replace that foam seal without taking out the dash to unbolt the guts of the climate control. That is a very time consuming job! The last item is that on the bottom of the fan unit of the climate control assembly in the passenger compartment there is a black plastic hose that drains any water that gets directly down through the plenum into the fan unit. This drains out through the firewall.

My recommendations are as follows 1) clean out the area in front of the windshield where the inlet plenum and harness inlet are located. 2) Put some silicon around the half-assed shield that sits over the inlet plenum and is supposed to prevent water from dumping directly down into it. 3) replace the worn bits of the black plastic cover that are supposed to help channel water from the windshield 4) consider jerry rigging something additional above the half-assed shield to keep water from dumping into the air plenum. I bought a rectangular plastic bucket at a hardware store and cut it into a shape that fit. 5) get to the hose that drains the bottom of the fan unit and make sure that it is not clogged or disconnected. On my car this is underneath the glove box on the passenger side and the glove box is easy to remove. 6) Get the carpets out and make sure everything is dry. I propped up the various insulation pads so air could get underneath and ran an electric heater/fan for 24 hours. 7) get a used yaw sensor. I have the benefit of a pull your own part junk yard so I could pull one from a car that did not have any evidence of water problems.
eapowers64 is offline   Reply With Quote