Thread: Amazon: - Pinion nut torque Diff rebuild
View Single Post
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 12:53   #7
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic rally View Post
Not sure I understand what using a thicker shim will achieve.

Will it stop the bearing in the pinion being pulled forward into the bearing housing so stop the bearing becoming too tight?

I have three shims now on the pinion shaft which is how the diff was before I disassembled it.

What I need to understand is, if the pinion is too tight and wont move by hand at a torque value of 130 nm surely it needs to be less tight. At a torque of 100nm the pinion moves nicely by hand and there is no play so surely if it is now torqued to a higher value of 280nm it will destroy the bearing no?
Understand your issue here ! :-) not only do you have a torque setting that is suppose to be 220ft lbs = 300 nms to tighten of which you don't have a torque wrench to get to 300nms to , But also seem to be crimping the parts inside the axle too tight when you try and get to the recommended torque ! As you have changed the bearings I would have thought that the new bearings are slightly bigger than the old ones due to wear, have you tried taking spacers out and see if you can torque to a greater amount with less spacers ?
surely your just torquing up the nut to the threaded apart on the pinion ?

Paul
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote