View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 22:02   #8
louis1978uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
About 6 weeks ago I noticed an intermittent smell inside the car, when the engine was hot and i was stuck in traffic. Volvo dealers found nothing. Then on Saturday whilst stopped at the services whilst going on holiday the smell was back and worse than before. I pulled the bonnet to see smoke coming up from the right hand side rear of the engine.

I set destination for nearest dealers who had a very quick look and said the rocker cover gasket was leaking. My car goes back in on Thursday to be looked at

The smell is an oily one, a bit like when a breather hose comes off. It also doesn't do it all the time. I've been using the car on holiday all week and it has been fine up until yesterday when it did it again. There are NO fault codes, Volvo have checked and the car runs very well, 5 adults up eating up these Cornish country lanes and hills with ease.

So has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone know what could be causing it? I'm happy to go with the leaking rocker cover gasket but why so intermittent, and why is there no obvious leak ie the drive is oil free, no drips. Also the fumes seem to come from quite a way down so its difficult to see what is leaking (from below and possibly to the right of the emap pipe)

I've think I've eliminated the air con system. Looks like pipes go to the left hand side of the engine, plus I've left it off all week.

Any thoughts?
dont forget manifold and turbo are at the back is ur turbo weeping a tiny bit once the oil is hot and oil is its thinest? could be burning on turbo housing or exhaust manifold as there are no oil pipes on the rear double check u dont have a core plug leaking aswell.
louis1978uk is offline   Reply With Quote