View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:26   #4
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

I missed out the Obvious in the above post ....

HOW TO CHECK YOUR GEARBOX OIL LEVEL

Gearbox Oil Level MUST be checked when the Engine is HOT using the following procedure..

A. Start Engine & run up to Normal Operating Temperature.

B. "Cycle" gear lever thru EVERY GEAR TWICE (Move Gear shift from P to R to N to D To 1 To 2 To 3 to L)

C. Check Dipstick for level (there are 2 Marks "HOT & COLD") make sure it on the "HOT" Mark.

D. Dipsticks Come in two varieties Long & Short & are situated by the Front Left of the Radiator (Just by/Under the Battery Shelf)

NEW CAR TO YOU ?????

If you have just bought the car & do not know its History ect there is an advantage in taking it for a Short Drive BEFORE checking the Gearbox Oil Level, The Torque Converter only "Works" when the vehicle is Moving & a "Good" Oil level showing in the Box does NOT necessarily mean the Torque Converter is Full of Oil.... Take the car for a 2 to 3 Miles run at normal speeds/driving ect on stopping IMMEDIATELY Check the Oil with the Dipstick it should be at the "HOT" level.

I personally have checked the Oil in my Sons Laguna & it was Correct but he was STILL experiencing poor Gear Shifting & "Clunking" .... On Investigation I found the previous owner had had the Gearbox Repaired & the "Mechanic" had refilled the Box to the Correct level but HAD NOT allowed for the Oil within the Torque Converter Hence we had a situation where the Box (At Ticking over/Standstill) APPEARED full but when Driving ALL this Oil was shunted into to T/C leaving the gearbox EMPTY & causing the Poor Gear shifting & "Clunkyness"

The ONLY way to confirm BOTH the Box & the T/C is at the correct level is to Dip the Box IMMEDIATELY after a "Drive" (at this point Oil pushed into the Torque Converter has NOT had time to drain back into the Gearbox)

NOTE*** The above is only applicable if you have just bought the vehicle & your "unsure" of the Gearboxes operation.

You only need to carry out the Above ONCE & having confirmed that BOTH parts of the box are at the Correct level you can use the "Checking Guide" above to ensure it stays at the Correct Level.

Keith

NOTE******

Mr MODS (James / Des) .. Can you please "Merge" these two post of mine, I ran out of time on the "EDIT" Button & this bit is "BASIC" to the advise in Post No1.

Cheers

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Aug 18th, 2011 at 12:31.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post: