Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Fuel consumption question
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 15:04   #18
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have run a V70 D5 from new to 117k miles over four years and logged all fuel in a spread sheet , up to 10k miles the consumption gradually improved from 45mpg to an average of 55 mpg the lowest figures being in the mid 20s when doing 120mph plus on the autobahn and as high as 75mpg on 200 plus mile journeys Liverpool to Glasgow. The fuel economy is now definitely deteriorating since passing 110k miles down to an average of 50mpg and now difficult to acheive 60mpg on long runs which was quite easy earlier in its life . Mainly do calculations on a tank to tank basis but also a moving average over 5000 mile slots . Car is normally fully loaded either with 5 passengers or 500kG of load . If I cannnot continue to keep the mpg averaging over 50 then I will get rid , may consider another one as the running costs of my V70 have been very minimal and these are great workhorses. My company run quite a few Volvos and an economy minded colleague gets average 55mpg from his 2004 S80 D5 but this is on journeys like my own sometimes 500 miles plus in one day so the engine is hot most of the time . I would be interested to know from anyone what you can do to keep or improve the fuel consumption figures apart from the obvious driving techniques .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote