Thread: Spare Tyre Poll
View Single Post
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 17:07   #33
Mountain Goat

Where to begin...
Firstly I must say I've just had a Vauxhall Insignia as a courtesy car for 2 days, and it was an absolute joy to get back in the XC60.
Got a puncture in o/s rear tyre on Wed night. Didn't know I had a puncture as handling not affected at all until near my destination, then got a bit loose at rear end.
Parked up, luckily in a secure private car park, and found rear tyre completely flat and very hot, as I'd obviously driven it like that for some distance.
Phoned RAC and decided it was too late to do anything at 6.30pm as there was NO SPARE, and tyre depots closing. So left car overnight as was able to get a lift home from partner.
RAC eventually turned up at midday Thursday. Did a temp fix on the flat tyre to enable me to get to local Kwik Fit. Surprise surprise, KF didn't have a 235/60 x 18 Pirelli in stock and as it's a 2 month old car I didn't want one mismatched tyre.
Told by KF that none available within 60 mile radius so would have to order from supplier, and expect it to arrive by 1pm Friday.
Just got car back today with a brand new matching P Zero Rosso, and eveything now fine.
However bottom line is I've been without my car for best part of 2 days, and fortunately I was able to leave the car somewhere secure overnight and get a courtesy car.
All for the lack of some sort of spare, be it space saver or full size. It is a totally Bl**dy ridiculous situation and I don't know how manufacturers can justify this inconvenience let alone potential safety aspects of getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no backup.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain Goat For This Useful Post: