Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Mist in XC90 Headlamp lens
View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:38   #11
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
When the plastic lenses came out in 2003 on the XC90 i was wondering how they were going to last for 20 years it turns out they are showing signs of deteriorating after only 3 years , if you keep them polished the cloudy appearance can be held at bay . The minute cracks are probably more on cars which are used in town or at low speds so the lens overheats with no cooling airflow .
It's not a VOLVO problem as most if not all manufacturers use plastic lenses now ... Volvo's problem is using headlamps for day running lights they should revert to the separate dedicated running lights which they got right first time on the 240 from 1976 to 1988 . Volvo got most things right first time then , unlike today ...
The XC90 has an ideal location for dedicated running lights , where the front parking light is ,. I think we have a bunch of 23 year olds sat behind computer screens designing cars these days ...
Mmmm.....I'm not so sure Clan.

If you want to save weight which must have been in the design brief given how much trouble was gone to in every other aspect of the car a good thing to get rid of is the glass in the headlights. Probably cheaper to produce as well given the shape of the XC90 lights. Lovely car though the 240 is, flat headlights wouldn't look so good on a 2003 car.
I repaced all the lights, back and front, after about 15 years on all my previous Volvos, because of deterioration of the reflectors inside, not the outside part which was still acceptable.

AB-UK....It could be the plastic is softer when hot in that area and is getting the scratches from stones bouncing off them. I don't know how fast you drive or how close to other vehicles but all the high milage cars I've seen have a shot blasted appearance if you look very closely at the front and windscreen. Take a close look at your windscreen and see how many tiny marks are on it.

All the best.

Roy