Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Mist in XC90 Headlamp lens
View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 23:24   #19
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Hello Roy,
I've had exactly the same problem on my 05MY. I have posted about this previously too as I noticed a few others has seen a similar issue. The symptoms I found were as you say a fine 'crazing' on the face of the lense - and also the appearance after a while of cracking round the corner towards the orange area. It was nearly identical on both sides - so no possibility of it being a random stone or chip from something. My car was slightly less than 3 years old at the time - i convinced the dealer to replace both under warranty as it was obvious it was not impact damage.
The replacement lenses are now showing signs of similar crazing on the faces - so I suspect that it IS a design or quality issue and sooner or later I'm going to have exactly the same problem with cracking again.
My theory is that it's hot/cold shock effect from the headlights getting dowsed with screenwash everytime you use the washers for the first time on any trip. I must admit I try now to just lightly flick the screen wash stalk which stop the headlamps getting an unneccessary dowsing.
I'd try and go down the warranty route - I doubt this now an isolated case even though my dealer had only seen it on an S40 previously.
Cheers
Ian.
Hi Ian.....I think your post is meant to be to AB-UK....But having read it I am wondering if it could be some chemical in the screenwash.

Could everyone whose had the problem post what screenwash they are using to see if there is a common denominater? As I've said before, my headlights are 6 years old now but are not showing any signs of cracking.

All the best.

Roy