View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:18   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattty View Post
Is the difference in ac/non-ac to do with the fittings on the core or the box in the car where the heater core goes? I was actually pondering on removing the AC since I've never used it in any of my cars and I'm trying to tidy up the engine bay. If I removed it would I be able to use a non-AC version?
You need the A/C version of the heater matrix. While you could remove certain components of the A/C system from the engine bay, you'd be better off keeping them and actually using the A/C, for example dry, conditioned hot air clears a foggy windscreen much quicker than damp, fresh air. If you've ever set your heater controls to the screen to clear it, you've probably found the fan comes on full and the A/C kicks in automatically. This is common practice.
Also in the summer when you need to cool down, it's more economical to use air-con with the windows shut than drive along with the widows open, creating a parachute effect.

That's the subject of a completely different thread though. Unless you're going to strip the dash out, replace your heater box with a manual one, find a heater control valve for a RHD car (they don't exist new!) and all else that entails including reworking the vacuum control system for your current HVAC controls and replacing with Bowden cables, you need to stick with what you've got and if you've got it, you may as well use it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: