View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 13:06   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I assume it would be possible to fit a simple analogue coolant temperature gauge. In bygone days this was a common simple mod for a lot of cars. I suppose the logic is that you don't need to know the engine temperature unless it is abnormal and the system does give warning of abnormal engine temperatures. It's a bit like the fuel gauge. You really only need to know when the tank is getting low so as you know when to take on more fuel as no one is actually very interested in the difference between ⅔ and ¾ of a tank. I once had a car where the gauge was only truly accurate for the bottom ¼ but that was sufficient for me and I never bothered to deal with its vagueness at higher levels. If you really have to know engine temperatures for diagnosis purposes, VIDA/DiCE will tell you.
I guess that is the logic but I don't agree with it.

The behavior of the temperature gauge (up or down) is the first clue to cylinder head gasket failure, often long before other symptoms and engine destruction from overheating.

Also - drivers in some other, hotter countries where 500 mile + journeys are normal (certain parts of America, South Africa, Australia) will habitually watch the temperature gauge.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote