View Single Post
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:54   #23
DownundeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschapman View Post
I had a clicking / clunking when accelerating / deccelerating and all it took was some glue on the drive shaft seals!!

Bit of loctite, job done
Thanks for the info Jon - can you keep us informed with how long your 'fix' lasts for?
The reason why?
Sounds like your vehicle has had the [unofficially named] stage 1 fix - where:
...Completely remove both front axles from the hub assembly. Once the axle is removed, the axle and hub interface should be thoroughly cleaned using cleaner P/N.... Apply metal adhesive P/N... evenly throughout the axle and hub interface. The sealing washer P/N.... between the axle and hub should
be replaced on certain vehicles.... Reinstall the axles and allow 6 hours for metal adhesive to cure...

Depending on the vehicle, driver, miles covered, even the technician doing the job - I am aware that for a number of owners this 'stage 1 fix' only lasted several thousand miles (e.g. 5 to 10,000) before the noise came back.
After complaints Volvo then started to install the XC90 axle bolts 'as a stage 2 fix' which [to date] has fixed the problem for many owners.
Some Volvo dealers and independant mechanics may not be aware of the 'stage 2 fix'.
Good luck and I hope it gives you many trouble free miles!
DownundeR is offline   Reply With Quote