View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 20:48   #1
V50 Craig

Default Best advice for engine longevity?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best things to do to prolong the life of an engine. Basically, thanks to poor geographical planning on my part, my home to work roundtrip is approx 120 miles a day, and I work between 5 and 7 days a week depending how busy things are. As you can imagine this adds up quickly. I'm a huge hiking fan too so on my days off I'm constantly travelling to different hiking locations. The result of this is I've done just shy of 20,000 miles since the end of November. The engine is now just over 112k and its a 2008 v50 2.0d.

Now, I would say probably 80% of my driving is up and down the M4 and I tend to cruise in the slow lane at 60mph 99% of the time, so I dont abuse the car. When I bought it it had full service history and it's booked in for it's 3rd service since being in my ownership.

Short of your regular fluid and filter changes, is there anything else I do to keep the engine in top condition? It's recently had a new clutch and DMF and the timing belt/water pump was changed on purchase. I want it to see 200k miles, which at its current rate will probably be in around 2.5 years time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote