Thread: C70 S70 V70 Cars: - Central locking problem
View Single Post
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 07:45   #8
turboboy
Master Member

Default Central Locking Problem on one door.

Well, problem now resolved. Thought I should follow up and say that a used replacement door "motor" is now installed and working well.

Not the easiest of jobs because it is a bit of a fiddle to get the motor out and the whole job took about a couple of hours (including stopping to take some photographs which I will hopefully put up this week end with some more information).

It's one of those jobs that when you start is a bit daunting, particularly when the Haynes manual appears to be rather vague at the very point you cannot get sight of the component / screw or whatever you need to get at but when finished seems obvious.

Biggest problem was probably positioning the replacement. Haynes says you should remove the lower window channel screw to give a little more clearance. I couldn't find this screw and managed to get the old unit out without but positioning the replacement proved impossible because the channel needed to move out of the way by just millimeters. Finally realised that there was a "pop" rivet where the screw should be so had to drill that out and then find a suitable screw and nut to replace, which was a fiddle to fix.

If you are going to do this job yourself make sure you remember what you remove ready for the "replacement is a reversal of the removal" stage as it is easy (for me) to forget something. In my case the first time was when investigating the problem was forgetting to put the motor cover on before replacing the door card and the second time was not clipping the wiring back in position - but it all works fine now although I did check that the window did not catch on anything before putting my tools away.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote