View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 17:05   #7
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
I’m confused.. £60K car to save potentially (if you bought a diesel) £25 pw of fuel?

Not intentionally being a c*ck, just don’t get the huge jump in purchase price vs the gains (charging at work, company car tax benefits excluded)
I have the T8 XC90 on order. Not a company car so no BIK consideration. I accepted before I ordered and as part of my decision making process that I will never recover the additional cost in fuel saving, even taking into account my plan to keep the car for 6 years. If the infrastructure was good enough I would have looked at full electric and the PHEV felt a good middle step. I am interested to see how economic I will be able to get it to run.

Financially does it make sense to pay £10k more than the diesel - no, absolutely not. Environmentally do I feel a little better about myself having driven diesels for the past 20 years - definitely, yes.

Incidentally I did calculate, based on cost per kwh against fuel costs and assuming my current mileage and type of driving (urban vs motorway) continue, that I could potentially save approx £7.5k in fuel cost over 6 years. That is more than I initially anticipated so I will be seeing just how close I get once my car is delivered in April.
Moonlanders is offline   Reply With Quote