View Single Post
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 16:19   #1
DocAce

Default Sat Nav route suggestions surprised me...

Our first proper day out in quite a long while found us driving the T8 up to a National Trust property for a walk.

On the way up we just followed the sat nav defaults but on the way back we thought we'd try the optional "Eco" route. I was somewhat sceptical as it took us through three large towns and despite being 10 miles shorter was an estimated 15 minutes slower, this turned out to be closer to 20 minutes.

End results (according to the app) were:

Default Route 50.4 miles in 1 hours using 1.4 gallons of petrol resulting in 34.8mpg
Eco Route 39.1 miles in 1h22m using 0.6 gallons and returning 57.6mpg

The battery was pretty much drained by the end but was utilised more on the return journey (approx 60/40 split).

Half the fuel consumed of the outbound journey! I guess if time isn't an issue and there's some juice left in the battery for town driving it's probably worth checking the Eco suggestion.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to be watching the fuel consumption like a hawk... you really don't buy a two tonne, 400hp vehicle as a sign of your green credentials... but as an intellectual exercise it interests me and I am getting better MPG overall than in my previous car which is nice. We will have to see where the MPG settles once I start doing longer journeys and the battery becomes more of a hinderance than an asset

Other thoughts - steering intervention and warning is still somewhat un-nerving; the collision warning when the van coming the other way was sure he could just squeeze through made me jump out of my skin; touch screen is no replacement for physical controls no matter how smart it is.