Thread: V50 Engine D5 : - Glow Plug System Mystery
View Single Post
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 14:58   #13
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Assuming you have the D5244T13, it would seem that Volvo no longer give the option to remotely activate the glow plug relay in Diagnostics >Vehicle Communication >ECM >Activations
Vida allows this on my 2002 D5244T hence my assumption you'd be able to do similar.

You can at least view the glow plug relay status in Diagnostics >Vehicle Communication >ECM >Parameters
This may be of limited use though considering the time delay between the glow plug relay being activated (or not) and Vida giving live data following ignition turn on.
Yes you're quite right regarding my engine number and also regards VIDA, however I had a hunch on engine bay fuse #34 - some glow plug and EGR functionality rely on it, however this tested with good continuity.

I then went on to re-test the glow plug connectors again as per your suggestion. Made sure I found a good negative contact point on the block by testing with the positive lead on the battery. Then set up for the test as per the pic in the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xr1...ew?usp=sharing

So in this video you can see the result to cylinder #1 glow plug connector,
4.4v~ which is coincidentally the voltage rating of the glow plugs for the older chassis number < 396178!
Soooo, my glow control unit/relay is working but delivering not enough voltage for the 7v rated plugs rated for my car...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iaM...ew?usp=sharing

I am not certain but I believe that the ECU instructs the voltage amount that the relay must deliver to each glow plug, seeing as the relay part number has not changed between revisions it would seem reasonable to believe so, furthermore I'm having the same result with two relays. I can't reasonably expect them to be faulty if they're delivering power.

It's quite possible that a software revision for Volvo recall work (Engine Speed May Not Decrease, VOSA - R/2010/051) has reverted the ECU back to instructing a deliverable 4.4v to the glows instead of the 7v that mine would appear to need.

I guess that leaves me with two options - get some 4.4v glow plugs or see if it is possible to adjust the voltage being sent to the glow plugs using either VIDA or Elk Diagnostic software, the former seems unlikely but the latter is worth a punt.
The more you know...