View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 23:52   #22
Ringthane
VOC Member

When I decided to buy a new car, back at the beginning of March, I was focused on the specification and therefore, a factory build, with the resulting lead time. I was told by the dealer that there was an 8-10 week lead time, but it didn’t occur to me to hold off, so that I would take delivery in September; I wanted my new car ASAP.

When I referred to the tyranny of new plate syndrome, I was referring to those buyers that go to a dealer and buy stock cars, off the forecourt, just to have the latest plate. If you’ve been lucky enough to order a car, for factory build, and it arrives just before the new plate comes out, then of course, get it registered as a 68 instead of an 18, and good luck to you.

As I bough mine outright, and may well keep it for more than three years, I don’t really care if it’s lost a few grand because it was registered in July and not September.

I’m also in favour of having a plate allocated to the driver, that is transferred from car to car, as other countries do.