Thread: Engine cut out
View Single Post
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 18:18   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Phew! Is it possible to confirm the diagnosis of a faulty switch without taking things apart?

Hmmm.

Well thinking about what the PNP switch does as it opens and closes circuits, I guess it should be possible to confirm what's happening electrically at each stage, but it'd probably be quicker and cheaper to swap the old for a known working switch.

One thought is bothering me, my V70 is an auto too, but when the gear selector is in a 'non-starting' position, ie: R, D, 3, 2 or L, then the starter won't operate at all. What puzzles me is that your engine will turn over. In other words, the PNP switch prevents starting at the wrong time by in effect switching off the starter motor, but clearly, this isn't the case here.

Thinking about it some more I'm less convinced that the PNP switch is necessarily at fault.

You mention in the other thread that you've removed the battery to re-charge it. Certainly a dodgy battery will cause the car not to start, even though the motor will turn over, but I'd have assumed that the AA man will have checked the condition of the battery?

Apart from a lack of fuel, and discounting timing belt failure, the only other possibilities are electrical / ignition or an immobiliser fault.

I guess the other possibility is that the car's petrol ECU thinks that it's running on gas, but that there is a gas problem. Could you disable the LPG system completely by removing it's fuse I wonder? This might stop the LPG ECU telling the petrol ECU not to work!

Before committing to a new PNP switch, is there any chance you could get the AA back to the car, on the basis that the garage they've taken you to can't fix it? If at all possible and the AA will help out, could you get the car to Dyrdal's in Fulford?

Sorry I haven't a definitive answer for you. I do suspect the PNP switch, but I'm not 100% certain.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote