Thread: Engine 850: B5204S/2.0/20v: - new ignition "noisy" while working?
View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 07:43   #5
reevoanders

Hi Luxobarge

Thanks for your response!

Before I read this response, I did this: my wife has the same model Volvo (same colour, too ), but in pretty good nick with only 36000miles on the clock. I swapped my new noisy coil into her car, and it had exactly the same noise, while her coil in my car was quiet....

I'm just flummoxed...

I phoned GSF and they were quite happy to have me take it back to them and get a refund for it - maybe they know that they've had a faulty batch, but are not telling me...?? I'm taking it back first thing tomorrow morning. Thereafter I have to shop for another one. Any advice where I should buy from? I know a new Volvo unit is going to be a rip-off...!

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
How sure are you that it's the coil? It'd be extremely unusual for two new coils to show the same fault, given that I've never heard of that fault before.

Remember that injectors and tappets all make a fairly loud ticking noise - check by making a sort of stethoscope out of a long rod, screwdriver or something and with one end in your ear press the other end on the coil and see if you can clearly hear it - if not, move it around the engine bay on different components until you can clearly hear the offending item.

Hope this helps
2009 Renault Clio III, 1.2 16V, 52000 miles
(ex: 1985 2.3L 740GL, 266000miles, no mods)
reevoanders is offline   Reply With Quote