View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 15:58   #2051
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Today I suffered a breakdown due to what I believe to be an EGR fault, although not the typical one... Intermittent loss of power, which got worse over about 30 minutes of driving until I got a "reduced engine power" message (featuring a tortoise) then performance reduced to such a level that I struggled to pull away from a standstill or go faster than about 10MPH and there was severe kangarooing. So I stopped and called Volvo recovery and the car is now at a dealer for 'diagnostics'.

However I carry an ELM327 so plugged it in to see what codes had come up and found the following:-
P2413 (logged)
P00be (pending)
P00bf (pending)
P2262 (pending)
I'm pretty sure they weren't there before, as I went through a phase of getting a P014c (relating to the exhaust manifold oxygen sensor being sooted-up) so regularly look to see if it's pending (it never is any more).

According to Google, the P2413 is probably due to the EGR valve sticking open and I assume the other codes relate to the effect that has upon MAF?

Anyone else seen this, of have any suggestions? I'm a bit concerned that this ISN'T the usual EGR blockage fault commonly reported in this thread, so may fall outside of Volvo goodwill!
Just had a call from Shrewsbury Volvo... it is the EGR valve that needs replacing, at a total cost of £743. The dealer has spoken to Volvo who (as mentioned above) are only prepared to cover 50% of the replacement cost due to the car being (just) over 4 years old, which is disappointing. And I have to also pay the diagnostics charge, so a confirmed total cost to me of just over £430.

UPDATE: just had another call, they've now found that the EGR cooler needs to also be replaced! But fortunately that's covered by a 100% contribution from Volvo.

Both the valve and the cooler have been previously replaced and the car is now on 72k miles. Worrying for the future, isn't it?

Last edited by Zebster; Mar 21st, 2019 at 16:33.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote