View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 18:12   #2057
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Just had a call from Shrewsbury Volvo... it is the EGR valve that needs replacing, at a total cost of £743. The dealer has spoken to Volvo who (as mentioned above) are only prepared to cover 50% of the replacement cost due to the car being (just) over 4 years old, which is disappointing. And I have to also pay the diagnostics charge, so a confirmed total cost to me of just over £430.

UPDATE: just had another call, they've now found that the EGR cooler needs to also be replaced! But fortunately that's covered by a 100% contribution from Volvo.

Both the valve and the cooler have been previously replaced and the car is now on 72k miles. Worrying for the future, isn't it?
Just collected my car from Shrewsbury Volvo and it certainly seems to running as well as it was at the start of the week. Unlike most examples in this thread, my problem was because the EGR valve had stuck open, and NOT because the cooler had blocked (however on inspection the cooler was nevertheless assessed to be in need of replacement due to soot build-up).

As expected, I received a 50% Volvo goodwill contribution on the valve/gasket/coolant and 100% on the cooler assembly. As an unexpected bonus, the labour cost for fitting both was able to be fully attributed to the cooler replacement, significantly reducing the total I just paid to £337.56 (including the initial diagnostic check, 'clearing codes and resetting adaptations' and VAT).

Apparently the parts removed were my original valve but a previously replaced cooler. The new valve fitted today is an upgraded part, however they believe the new cooler to be the same as the one already fitted (which was only about 18 months/16k miles old). There was a suggestion made that the cooler may have sooted-up up so quickly because the valve had been passing too much EGR for some time (however I had not noticed this adversely affecting performance or economy).

I'd like to recommend Shrewsbury Volvo for coping so well with having my car dumped on them by Volvo recovery with no notice, but then still turning my car around within the 48 hours given by the inclusive car hire. Very nice people too!

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, but it seems very likely that the cooler will need replacing again at some point...

Last edited by Zebster; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 18:55.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote