Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2022, 12:05   #859
Othen
Premier Member

Default Some engineering advice please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I'm thinking that I will have to take the gearbox out (it looks really simple) and have this tap ready to have a go re-tapping the 5/8" hole. If there isn't enough metal left to do that I'll have to get the M16x2 helicoil kit I posted a link to above.

I can't help thinking there must be some common use for M16x2 to justify people making off-the-shelf taps and helicoil kits.

Curiouser...

Alan
I'm planning the OD inhibitor switch mission and have acquired this M16x2 helicoil kit (quire cheaply) in preparation:

First: I can confirm the OD inhibitor switch has a M16x2 thread, the inserts fit it exactly.

The supplied inserts are 20mm long - I'm guessing (although I have not removed it yet) this will be a bit long for the M41 gearbox lid as it is about twice as long as the thread on the switch. I've fitted helicoils many times previously, but have always used the whole length of the spring. My engineering question is can I just trim the insert down to the required length (probably around 10-12mm) before fitting it?

I rather suspect someone in our community has done this previously and can tell me how (I'm guessing with some sharp wire cutters from my sparky's box?).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 16th, 2022 at 12:11. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: