View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:31   #24
Roger Breaker

You had any luck with one yet? Just to add my 2p worth, I'd loved the S40's since they first came out, and really fell for the 04-on models, so when i'd ran my '99 A4 into the ground last year at this time, I went looking to see what I could afford.
Doing only around 10,000m a year (sometimes as low as 6-7000) I was specifically after a petrol, as my 1.8 A4 had served me very well. I was very pleased to find that a high mile facelift model was just about in my price range, so after a bit of research on here I went hunting.
My particular example (a 58 plate 2.0 R-Design in black) came from Car Giant at Willesden. Now, I hear a lot of horror stories about these places, but if you know what the car should be worth, and you take a ruddy good look around it and a look through the history, I don't really see how you can go wrong.
Mine had done 93,000, which was a little high for me but as it was still 6 months away from its very first MOT it looked like it might suit me down to the ground. So I went for it, and I'm glad I did (so far, at least!). Bits that I had to sort on mine were a set of R Design mats (I notice that nearly all of Car Giant's R Designs have these fitted still, but I guess mine were removed by the previous owner or were in a mess), and I fitted a new centre console trim as mine was cracked where a phone had been fitted (this showed-up on the photos of the car on their iPhone app, but really wasn't too bad, it would've just annoyed me if I'd have kept it!). Also, there was some kerb damage on the rims (Midir 18", love them!), although I didn't realise that being diamond cut they're a bit more complicated/expensive/annoying to repair, so they've been left at the moment but do spoil the look of the car a bit, so I'm looking into bodging them short term. Other than that, I absolutely love it! Great ride, I wouldn't say it's too harsh despite sports suspension and 18"ers.
As we speak it's in for it's 100,000m service, so we'll see what that throws up. It's the first Main Dealer service I've ever shelled-out for, but the quote wasn't far off our local indy's, and it includes a years roadside and homestart apparently, and computer updates so I'm giving it a whirl as the car already has fVsh. Plus I'm getting to try out a 61 plate courtesy D3 C30 Geartronic!
Anyway, am I still running on?! All I wanted to know was, did you source a 2.0petrol S40 yet?! ;-)
Roger Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote