View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 14:40   #16
glasgowjim

I teach a new course which is being introduced into schools by the national exam board called cycling safely and consists of 2 units one on basic cycle maintenance and the second on how to cycle safely . This involves road positioning , signalling , highway code and how to cycle in groups safely. This starts with a basic bike handling skills section riding slowly , riding with one hand (left and right). When to take the lane and always if you are uncomfortable / afraid get off and walk this section of road. In addition they have to plan a short route and lead the group safely. This is nationally accredited and is free in schools taking the next level up from the primary schools bikeabilty courses (old cycle proficiency courses). It is delivered in conjunction with Glasgow Life (arms length council dept).

So hopefully the use of this course will spread throughout schools in Scotland resulting in a major improvement in safety.

Recently ( since the olympics and the increasing number of cyclists on the road , cyclists have to a greater extent become self-policing shouting at other cyclists who jump red lights etc. I find the idea of being blinded by a cycle light quite amusing given that the height of lights and the brightness of headlights on the 4x4 cars blind me regularly as I drive my 480 . Does your mirror not have a dipped adjustment for just this problem. As for being invisible this really is a problem how many times have you sat at a T junction at night and a car with these uber bright headlights has indicated to turn but you cant see the indicator light because its swamped by the headlamps? This will become I suspect a major design issue in future for cars. Cyclists with only a helmet mounted light is just so wrong. I personally ride with 3 rear reds the outer two flashing and the inner central one permanently on. On roads two two front mounted lights are one on full time and one flashing. High vis jacket or vest at all times. You have to ride defensively and assume quite often that the fast approaching driver on the side road is not going to stop.
You have to take the lane as drivers look to see other cars so you have to be positioned in their field of vision.

A major problem for all road users is the state of the road surface , one near me is so bad that you cant take your hand off the handlebars to signal as you will end up decked on the road and hit by a following car. The surface is ok for cars but not bicycles however a non cycling motorist will get frustrated behind a cyclist who slows down and doesnt indicate. Yes there are bad cyclists as there are bad drivers. The injury consequences for cyclists are considerably greater. The way ahead is improving education for both cyclists and drivers and improving the infrastructure for all road users.
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glasgowjim For This Useful Post: