View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 00:51   #2
canis
Non Fragile

Well, in my opinion, unless you can see the car running (and by that, i mean start it from cold and observe it for as long as you want to, even half an hour, which most people won't allow [they say for fuel reasons so take a gallon with you] and monitor it closely) it's a huge gamble. How much is the stake?

Me, I'd want to arrive having made no promise to buy. I'd want to see it start from cold. I'd want to check it's fluids before it starts. Then (with the bonnet open) I'd want to stare at it until it's hot enough for the fan to come on. During this process I'd be feeling the demister air, the radiator hoses and the radiator itself, to test their warmth by hand. I would also be listening carefully, watching the exhaust colour, occasionally putting my hand over the tailpipe (looking for water droplets, expected when cold but not when hot), sniffing it here and there, watching coolant level ... basically the works.

I hate buying cars, and am always suspicious. Remote buying is even worse. Basically, it's a gamble, and how much are you willing to risk?

I'd also be looking to see a bright shiny new timing belt, water pump and pulleys. Sellers have been known to tell the odd pork-pie. From time to time.

As with buying ANYTHING (and this is a rule for life) what is it worth TO YOU?

Good luck with it, if you decide to take a punt on it.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: