View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 19:57   #23
BrianH
VOC Member

Default 27 to 714800 miles

245 GL 1989 1986cc CI (constant injection) converted to LPG at 151k.
This engine went to 500k where the cylinder pressure went down 11 bar. Volvo minimum 9 bar. It was slowing down, too slow to tow the caravan, but was still doing 5k ltr of oil.

Now a used 2326cc from Braydon Motors London for £265 while another 2.3ltr is being rebuilt, this cost £150 for ebay. The 2ltr could not be bored out as it would break through to the water ways. Shame!

In order in my opinion what matters.

1. Very clean oil always. This is achieved with by-pass oil filtration. The ordinary full flow filters to 16 micron. At quarter flow the larger by-pass filters to 2 micron. Interference at the piston ring and bore interface is 6 micron. Herein I think lies the secret to long life. Before you change the oil you send a sample to the North Wales Laboratory for a detailed analysis, this tells you change or go to the next service period. A detailed report picks up fuel, coolant, and all the metal wear rates. Generally, my change rates for the 2ltr engine was 70k. Once it was 150k.

2 LPG is clean fuel little carbon gets into the oil. No particulates, no NOX. Current cost 59.9ppl. TfL seem happy with this to. Conversion paid for its self in 2 years, but only petrol engines with hard heads will last.

3. Engine preheaters. I had the Kenlowe original but was not as reliable as the Volvo engine. There was a modification to switch on the cab heater fan when up to temperature. Hard work though.

4. Quality 0/30 fully synthetic oil.

5. Often thought a filter system on the gear box would be good as the my M47 gearbox started bulking at 5k miles.

bobistheoilguy is a good place to get information.

Regular maintenance of course. Garages don't like bypass filters.

BrianH
800 to 1000mls a week
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post: