View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 21:03   #18
dshbc

Default V40

I have had a V50 (1.6 DrivE). V70 (2.0D)and now in a V40 D3, despite usually driving on my own, my passengers think V70 was the best.

I have also test driven the V60 and S60. but due to some unfortunate mishap I missed the chance to have a V60, hence I have a V40 now.

V50/V60:
Size is just right, for 4 people on a road trip - drove up from London with lots of stuff for a Scotland round trip with 4 adults loaded in a V50, coped with ease, they are both nimble enough to take on narrow country lanes and some horrible car parks.

V50 is cramped for legroom, but I think V60 strikes a good balance between legroom and luggage space.

V70:
Great car, immensely comfortable, but a lot more body roll than the V50 and V40, even in R design, however the suspensions are much softer and you will be cruising on your sofa at home on motorways.

Space is never a problem ,but the turning circle is very poor and the steering is heavier, so if you drive in town quite a lot then forget it.

With the V70 I found myself having to do 3 point turns much more than if I had a V50 or V40, and it makes parking and going round multistorey car parks rather difficult, but I find it easiest to park because it's square and boxy, plus the fact that you feel higher up in the V70 too.

V40:
Another nice one, feels similar to drive as the V50, very quick and nimble, luggage space is poor, but I rarely have 5 adults on board, and when I have to, it will take the backpacks but not the suitcases.

If there are passengers taller than 170cm for the back seats, then they won't appreciate the V40 much, especially if you have 3 at the back, and they probably will complain about the leg room unless the driver and passenger have short legs.

My V40 has the pano roof so it's wonderful to watch starlight sometimes and it is a nippy and cosy car for two with the ambient lighting.

That said, I find it most fun to drive, hence it changed my driving style to a more aggressive one, but due to the low curved bonnet design, I find it hardest to park. It's harder to judge the front and back and it's just not very Volvo like in a way.

In summary:
Space:
V70>V60>V40

Comfort :
V70>V60>V40

Maneuverability:
V40>V60>V70

Cost to run:
V40>V60>V70
V40 D3 SE Lux 2013
S60 D3 R Design Nav 2012
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote